Concerts at The Parish Church of St Mary & St Eanswythe
The Bayle, Folkestone, Kent CT20 1SW United Kingdom
Music on a Sunday Afternoon presented by Bayle Music
Sponsored by

Sunday Afternoon concerts will start at 3.30 pm unless otherwise stated.

Tickets now £10

Fifth Season 2016-17

Sunday 18th June

Alex Hughes (piano)

Programme to include J.S. Bach Chromatic Fantasia BWV 903 and Fugue and Mozart Quintet in E flat major for Piano and Winds K452

SATURDAY 29 JULY at 7.30 pm


directed by Alan Shellard in a programme of light classics and military marches

Tickets 15



Concert in church


Concerts begin at 3.30 pm. Tickets cost 10 and are on sale at the door from 3 pm or reserved in advance by calling 01303 257 248 by midday the preceding Saturday.

Children and students in full-time education are admitted free.


Thanks to St Eanswythe’s School, we are now able to offer a limited number of off-street parking places on the school playground in The Bayle for the Sunday afternoon concerts. Please contact Ian Gordon for full details and a permit, which you will need to display. Please note that for security reasons the car park gates will be closed during the performance.

Photographs of the installation of 100 boats by HEW LOCKE in St Eanswythe to commemorate
For Those In Peril On The Sea

Why not consider becoming a Bayle Music Patron?
We are grateful, as ever, for the support of Creative Foundation and the Roger de Haan Charitable Trust. However, the Bayle Music committee is keen for the concerts to become financially self-supporting as soon as is possible.

To that end, this season we are again inviting people to consider becoming a Bayle Music Patron. Each Patron will be guaranteed a reserved seat for each Bayle Music concert and be invited to an ‘End of Season’ reception. Patron’s names will appear in the Bayle Music programme and in the annual brochure. A payment of £100 would secure your Patron’s status for a season. Please contact Ian Gordon for full details.

Ian’s contact details:
Email: Telephone 01303 257 248

About St Eanswythe and Folkestone's old Parish Church

Christian worship has been offered on or near this site since 630 AD when Eadbald, King of Kent, built a convent and church for his daughter Eanswythe - believed to be the first religious house with an abbess in the country. His father, King Ethelbert, had welcomed St Augustine and his monks in 597.  Eanswythe died in about 640 AD and was made a saint soon after. Her relics became a focus of pilgrimage and in 1138 were brought into the present church (the fourth to occupy this site) on 12 September - the date we still keep as our Patronal Festival.
In the 11th century the Priory was established but was suppressed like almost all the others, by Henry VIII in 1534 and the church entered a long period of neglect and decline.
Canon Matthew Woodward, vicar from 1851 to 1898, transformed it into the beautiful church you see today, with stained glass, murals and mosaics of the highest quality.

  St Eanswythe's relics were re-discovered in 1885 during work in the Chancel and are now kept in niche behind a brass grill in the north wall of Sanctuary of the High Altar, close by Woodward's memorial brass plate. They provide an inspiring link with the far-off days of Pope Gregory and St Augustine and the return of Christianity to Britain 300 years after the Roman occupation ended.

St Eanswythe

East Bridge Chorale
Crowthers of Canterbury (Wind Instruments)

Email for further enquiries

Contact web designer